However, it turns out that that there isn't as much as I thought.
I have a handheld body fat percentage calculator. It was telling me recently that I was up in the 35% range. That's kind of high, but really (with my weight and how I feel) it was quite believable.
Well, this weight loss competition that I've joined uses rather precision equipment. I stand on the scale (a heavy-duty looking thing) and it weighs me. Then they put a couple of sensors on my right hand, and a couple on my right foot.
Turns out that my body fat percentage was 23.
Slightly lower than 35, I know.
After discussing this with our trainer, I've decided to take my wife's advice (that she seconded...) - I'm taking this lower percentage as a good thing. Really, this means that I'm not as unhealthy as I probably SHOULD be based on not really trying for a long time.
I'm taking quite a few positives from this...
- I am healthier than I thought I was.
- I probably have a pretty good metabolism.
- I have a lot of bone/muscle mass. See #2.
- If I really try, and keep it up, I will lose the weight I need to lose.
- When I get to goal, I should be able to keep the weight off.
So it's time to start finding a balance. I really don't think that giving all of this up forever is realistic. But neither is eating anything and everything I want and expecting to be healthy. My brother has recently lost 50 pounds, and he's feeling great. He is STILL posting all the time about the wonderful food that he is eating. I guess what he is NOT posting is all of the healthy food he is eating between those posts, and the exercise that he is doing.
I know there's a way. And you know what?
For the first time in a while, I have the will.
-Silas
No comments:
Post a Comment