I forgot to mention that I went to visit the orthopedist yesterday. He gave me some VERY good news. I had thought that the crunchy/grinding noise in my knees was on account of my cartilage being gone. Turns out that's not the case - it may not be the healthiest of cartilage, but it's there. I'm going to see another physical therapist about my knees - a guy who specializes in helping athletes. He's going to do a "gait study" to see how I run to help me correct any problems, as well as give me exercises to help strengthen my knees. He will also recommend some shoes. At this point, I'm not sure I care how much the shoes cost - if the shoes allow me to keep running, and I can lose the rest of the 53 pounds that I need gone, it will be worth every penny.
So I can keep running. Last night I got on my treadmill and did 4 miles. Not running yet, mind you. I walked/very QUICKLY walked, but I didn't want to pound on my knees until I get some help. I'm relieved about this. I may never be a marathoner - I am fairly sure that my knees will probably not support that - I am going to start getting into triathlons, I think. The orthopedist said that swimming and biking would be very good to do as well, so I will get into it.
About work food - here at work, we've had this massive project that we have had to get shipped out (I work for a Software company - I'm a professional geek). It took some work, and the team as a whole performed spectacularly. So our boss is taking us all out for lunch today at a Brazilian Grill. One of those places that, if you are not careful, can put you into a MEAT COMA. Basically, you go in, and they keep bringing you out different kinds of roasted meat until you can't stand any more.
Lovely.
What am I going to do about it? Well, to start, I went to the gym already this morning. Turns out I swim slowly, but I can do it indefinitely, or so it felt. I swam for 90 minutes. It was over a mile and a half. According to my fitness website, I burned almost 1400 calories. That excites me. I feel it, too. I'm pretty much exhausted. But in a good way.
Also - the very first thing I am going to do when I get in there is to eat an ENORMOUS plate of salad. I can fill up a very large amount of my stomach with lettuce and vegetables, and a low-fat mustard based dressing that they have, for under 300 calories. I seriously plan to do that.
And then I'm going to eat some of the meat. I will skip the bacon wrapped stuff. There is a possibility that I will consume 1000 calories of meat. But I am going to stop myself before I gorge. I just won't do it. After three pieces of meat, I'm going to go back for a small salad again, if I'm still hungry. And frankly, I can't pass up the grilled pineapple. :) But at the end of today, I plan to have at least a 2000 calorie deficit. This can be done. It will be done.
Why? Because right now, for whatever reason, it is more worth it to me to NOT eat the food. I was not mortified when I jumped in the pool today. Yes, I'm overweight. (Technically still obese, but even at goal, I'll be classified as overweight by the idiotic BMI scale) But I know how far I've come. This morning's weigh-in was 263.6. WAY better than 300.
So while there is another obstacle to overcome, I have planned for it, and I will overcome.
-Silas
4 comments:
Love your determination and attitude.
Thank you!
So I think I came out of there quite well. I ate a few calories, but I would estimate that 3/4 of what I ate was salad.
The meat was good. And I passed on the bacon-wrapped turkey.
I think I made it out with a calorie deficit of OVER 1500 calories for the day. And that is being pessimistic with how much food I ate. Which I want to be.
-Silas
It sounds like you did well with a difficult situation. When my friends went out with me, I did eat cheesecake, but skipped other high cal foods offered to me. We have to live with ourselves. :D
Glad to hear your knee isn't as bad as you thought. Poor gait can cause joint problems! You are wise to look into that.
:-) Marion
It sounds like you did really well!
Post a Comment