Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tired?

How in the world I ever got my sorry butt out of bed at 4:40 am is beyond me. I made it to the gym and just after 5:00 in the morning to do two miles. I was able to get to work at just after 6:00, all showered and clean. Pretty good start to the day.

The food demon started talking early, though. I'm pretty happy with how it went at the grocery store - nothing but the stuff that will keep me on track. I have noticed that it's initially very hard to ignore the little voice asking for crap, but after a few days, it gets easier and easier...

It's interesting how running two miles is quite a bit harder than I remembered it. I guess you really do lose your fitness after a while. But the good news is that I'm running again, and before too terribly long, I'll be right back where I want to be.

The question is: where do I want to be?

I'm shooting for the 10K race at the end of March. It's the Rex Lee Run. It is named after a former president of BYU who died of cancer. It's now a fundraiser for cancer.

And I think I might be more than just a runner this year. I am going to find out if there is any sort of extra fundraising that can be done, especially in the name of someone. There is a little girl in my neighborhood, 8 or 9 years old, who has just been diagnosed with leukemia. Having an 8-year-old girl myself, it hits me pretty hard. I cannot imagine what the family is going through.

I know that there's nothing I can do for this girl that her family is not already doing. But at least if I do SOMETHING, then I will feel just a little less impotent in the face of this kind of frightening illness.

So there's my little bit of sunshine for the day :) I'm doing well, right where I want to be, and full speed (slow, but full speed) ahead.

-Silas

No comments: