Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolute.

First of all, I just can't start typing anything without mentioning that the Boise State vs. Oklahoma game last night was the Best. Football. Game. Ever.

Yes, I'm a sports fanatic. I don't blog it much. Of course, as you can see, I haven't blogged much at ALL...

So I think I did pretty well over the Christmas and New Year's holiday. No, I didn't deprive myself all Christmas long. I had some good food. I chucked a lot of good food...:) but what can you expect?

I came to a bit of an epiphany over the holiday about holiday eating. Every time the WW people talk about the holidays, they talk about how many calories there is in the average Christmas dinner.

Know what? To me, that's beside the point.

The problem is that if you go overboard focusing on the Christmas dinner, you do just that - you focus on one single event, when in reality, you should be focusing on the long term. I think about my brother-in-law. He went to the hospital with INCREDIBLY high blood pressure, the kind of high blood pressure where they wondered how he was alive.

Seriously.

So he had to go on a diet and exercise program. He was probably about 80-100 pounds overweight. He has done an incredible job of what he does. He's a bit more strict than I could be, but then, I don't need to be that strict.

But what he does is this - he eats well all week long. Very well. Tons of vegetables, low fat, low carb, low calorie, etc. On the weekend, he does well. He will go out to eat and not worry about the calories for a meal. Note: A MEAL.

So what about the Christmas dinner? I did not want to go into the holidays with the only thing on my mind being how much I'm going to eat. I just wanted to go with my family to my parents' house and have a great day.

Of course, the entire thing ended up being a moot point, as I came down with a seriously bad stomach virus about 2 hours before dinner...I didn't feel like eating much :)

And I was sick for a large portion of the vacation. Well, either I was sick or it was Sara, or one of the kids. At least I had the luxury of just taking it easy for the entire week.

Anyway, from now on, I think I'm going to shift my focus from the one meal to the REST of the time. It's not the one Christmas meal that caused weight gain - it was the slow addition of calories, day after day, week after week, month after month, that has done that.

Now, then, it's going to be the calorie deficit, day after day, week after week, month after month, that will undo the damage.

I will be back to post more later.

-Silas

No comments: